Wednesday, February 16, 2011

About Communication..

There were quite a lot of people once asked me the question, "why are you learning Japanese? " some of them may even have a second meaning behind their question, well, because I am Chinese I guess? 

hmmm, good question. Can I simply say just because I love Japanese food? So the reason is simply because I want to order amazing food in an amazing Japanese restaurant in the future using fluent Japanese? Believe it or not.
 
Or, if I want to bring it into a totally different level of significance, in terms of history and culture.. As a Chinese, especially a Chinese studying outside of China, in such an international setting, I want to find the connection that connecting American culture and Japanese culture, with my Chinese background. 

Yes, and then, the first thing I have to deal with is definitely the language-communication. 

Communication simply means "being able to be understood by American speakers" for me, in the first few months after I came to America.

Then, communication went through several different meanings, as following, 
At McDonals, I practiced with myself before I order a meal, hoping the girl behind the counter got my order and won't stare at me with a weird expression; 

On the phone, talking to the Customer service people, trying to change a cell phone plan, more than one time asking her if she can speak a bit slower ; (and I still call back time to time asking random questions, just because I want to practice my English and I know they have to be nice to me no matter how slow/troublesome/annoying I am.. hah)

At College admission office, during an interview, I took millions of deep breaths to calm down, then praying everything went well. Well, I guess it went well since I had an one-hour-fifteen-minute interview and I got admitted!

Till now, my goal is, to  understand those random jokes in a conversation, and tell a random joke to make people laugh..

I guess there is no need to again emphasize the importance of communication.. If we really want to make it work, well, we don't even need a formal language.. (but it definitely helps a lot), as Sato Sensei always said: (for the bonus point in the quiz), "you can draw if you want"! or make good use of our body language! BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY, we just need to open our mind, look into people's eyes, wearing our smiles, and just try!

If you understand what I just wrote above, I believe I have just made a wonderful communication with YOU!  

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that the genuine effort made to communicate is in itself communicative of amicability. The appreciation we show to people who work hard at allowing us to understand their ideas is in itself rewarding. When in someone else's country, it's always respectful to demonstrate the you care enough about their culture to learn their native language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an effective communicator is an ongoing experience. I agree that we improve our communication skills and are affected positively by talking with other people.

    ReplyDelete